You are invited!
The Claremont Colleges Council of Presidents cordially invites the 7-College community in Asia to join in a weekend of camaraderie and education in the wonderful city of Hong Kong this fall.
This special weekend will offer an opportunity to further strengthen ties among the alumni, parents, friends, and presidents of The Claremont Colleges while offering an insider’s view of Hong Kong.
We have several generous hosts throughout the weekend and through their generosity we have been able to keep the weekend’s costs to a minimum.
We hope you can join us!
- November 16–18, 2012
- US$150 per person for the entire weekend of events
- US$25 per person for Friday or Sunday participation
- US$100 per person for Saturday only
- We have arranged for special rates at the Harbour Grand Hotel, Hong Kong.
- Room rates are as follows:
- Thursday–Friday, November 15–16:
- us$270/hk$2080 per night
- Saturday–Sunday, November 17–18:
- us$220/hk$1680 per night
To make a reservation, please fill out the reservation form [PDF] to be a part of The Claremont Colleges room block.
- All events require registration. Make your reservations for this special weekend.
- All registrations are due by November 6, 2012.
- Refunds will not be given after October 29, 2012.
Preliminary schedule, subject to change.
Schedule of events
Friday, November 16
- 6:00 p.m. Depart for Heng Seng Bank
- (5:45 p.m. Meet in the Lobby of the Harbour Grand Hotel to board shuttles.)
- 6:30 p.m. Welcome Reception, Heng Seng Bank
- Hang Seng Bank, Penthouse Floor
- 83 Des Voeux, Central
- Hong Kong
- Hosts: Simone Cheng ’06 and Vincent Cheng P’06, Claremont McKenna College
Saturday, November 17
All Saturday events will be held at Harbour Grand Hotel.
- 9:00–10:00 a.m. Session
- Managing International Finance
Moderator: Laura Skandera Trombley, President, Pitzer College
- Steven Chang ’83, Pitzer College Trustee, Managing Director, State Street Bank & Trust Co.
- Miranda Kwok P’15, Pitzer College, President and CEO, China Construction Bank (Asia)
- Josh Wang ’91, Pomona College, Managing Director of Credit Management and Advisory, Goldman Sachs Asia
- Steve Watson, Claremont McKenna College affiliate, Senior Vice President, Capital World Investors
- 10:15–11:15 a.m. session
- Doing Business in Asia
Moderator: Pamela Gann, President, Claremont McKenna College
- Matthew Estes ’88, Pomona College, CEO, Babycare Ltd.
- Roy Y.C. Chen ’86, Claremont McKenna College, Chairman & CEO, Grace Financial Ltd
- Jeff Layman ’90, Claremont McKenna College, Partner, Beijing Office, Baker Botts LLP
- Moira Moser ’60, Scripps College, CEO and Founder, M. Moser Associates, Ltd.
- 11:30–12:30 p.m. session
- The Political Arena: Hong Kong
Moderator: Lori Bettison-Varga, President, Scripps College
- Bernard Chan ’88, Pomona College, Deputy of The Chinese National People’s Congress; Member of the Executive Council of the Hong Kong SAR Government; President, Asia Financial Group; President, Asia Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Minxin Pei P’11, Claremont McKenna College, Professor of Government and Roberts Fellow, Specialist on China and U.S.-China relations
- Ambassador Stephen Young P’12, Scripps College, Consul General of the United States of America, Hong Kong
- 12:45–2:30 p.m. Lunch at Harbour Grand Hotel
- 3:00–4:30 p.m.
- Liberal Arts Education Panel
Moderator: Bob Walton, CEO, Claremont University Consortium
- Lori Bettison-Varga, President, Scripps College
- Pamela Gann, President, Claremont McKenna College
- David Oxtoby, President, Pomona College
- 6:00 p.m. Depart for Aberdeen Marina Club
- 6:30–8:45 p.m. Cocktail Reception and Dinner, Aberdeen Marina Club
- welcome: David Oxtoby, President, Pomona College
- remarks: History and Preservation of Hong Kong, host and speaker, Bernard Chan ’88, Pomona College
- 9:00 p.m. Yacht Tour of the Hong Kong Marina
- Host: Bernard Chan ’88, Pomona College
Sunday, November 18
- 10:00 a.m. Depart for Brunch
- 10:30 a.m. Brunch at the home of Ambassador Stephen Young P’12 and Barbara Finamore P’12, Scripps College
- 1:00 p.m. Optional Excursions
- Walking Tour of Hong Kong with guide Jason Wordie, local historian and writer
- (maximum 20 participants)
- Luxury Shopping Trip organized by Kanani Young ’04, Pitzer College, Merchandising Manager, Balenciaga Asia
- (maximum 15 participants)
- Hiking to Victoria Peak in Hong Kong with Adriana Garcia ’95, Pitzer College, and her husband, Abel Navarrete (Easy + paved walkway)
- (maximum 20 participants)