Student Health and Counseling Services
The staff members of Student Health and Counseling Services (SHACS) are committed to supporting the physical, emotional and psychological well-being of students at the Claremont Colleges. We strive to accomplish these goals by providing quality medical and psychological services, creating a supportive environment, offering wellness programming, and educating students on healthy lifestyle skills. We value our role in contributing to the Claremont Colleges' community and supporting students in their academic pursuits and personal aspirations. Student Health Services, Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services and Health Education Outreach each practice within a health and wellness model. In its broadest sense, wellness is an approach to health that focuses on balancing the social, mental, emotional, physical and spiritual aspects of a student's life. Our goal is to provide you an opportunity to learn about and develop health enhancing practices that will remain with you throughout your life. Here are some basic beliefs about health that guide us in the implementation of this approach.
- Health is an integrated expression of biological, psychological, social and spiritual factors. Wellness is a holistic philosophy of health holding that all these factors need to be considered when assessing the health of an individual.
- The natural tendency of the body is to restore and maintain health.
- Optimal health is unique for any single individual.
- Health is the result of a relationship between the practitioner and patient with the goal being more healthful living through improved relationships, nutritional habits, constructive exercise, stress management, etc.
- The practitioner in this model not only treats disease/illness but also facilitates optimal health through patient education.
See the following sites for more detail:
Health center news
Student Health Services has been following the recent outbreaks of meningitis at Princeton University and the University of California-Santa Barbara. To date there have been no reported cases of meningitis at The Claremont Colleges. Please be advised that we are...
Student Health Services, (SHS), will be officially opened for the fall on September 2, Labor Day. We have a fully scheduled staff to handle, appointments and prescription refills, lab and x-ray, as well as walk-in patient care. The health center...