EHS Services: Full List
To request services
Accident Investigations Support
- EHS provides professional level health and safety expertise and support to supervisors in completing their accident reports, and to the Colleges Human Resources Departments as requested, in support of accident investigations.
- The Claremont Colleges Injury and Illness Prevention Plans at each college and organizations require that each accident be investigated by the supervisor to prevent reoccurrence. The department supervisor is required to complete a “Supervisor’s Report of Occupational Accident” form. Copies of this accident investigation are to be sent by the supervisor to the CUC Workers' Compensation and EHS. EHS is available, as needed, to assist the supervisor in the completion of this report.
- ALL SERIOUS ACCIDENTS MUST BE REPORTED TO CUC EHS IMMEDIATELY. CAL/OSHA must be notified no later than 8 hours from the time of the accident. It is the responsibility of the supervisor and the College Human Resources office to call EHS. In the event of an afterhours accident the supervisor shall contact Campus Safety, who will notify EHS. The definition of a “serious injury” is complex under Cal/OSHA.
EHS assists the Colleges in preparing the report of the annual hazardous chemical inventory submitted by each College to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
EHS provides professional level expertise in evaluation and set up of workstations, in ergonomic office configurations, and in recommendation of ergonomics equipment. Ergonomics evaluations may be requested through the Colleges Human Resources offices. Ergonomics equipment is approved and purchased by each College.
EHS provides updates for the master template for the Chemical Hygiene Program, responds to and investigate lab accidents, and develops and operates the lab safety inspection and audit program. EHS provides guidance to the colleges in carcinogen reporting, in employee air monitoring, and in providing specifications for outside expert industrial hygiene services contracts as required by each College for their industrial hygiene needs.
Occupational Health & Safety
EHS provides updates for the master template for: Illness and Injury Prevention Program, Hazard Communication Program, and The Claremont Colleges Safety and Health Handbook; develops policies and procedures required by regulatory agencies, and provides guidance and best practice documents to the Colleges.
EHS provides indoor air quality screening, and assists colleges with obtaining advanced indoor air quality/industrial hygiene monitoring services if required. EHS provides overall project guidance on asbestos and lead abatement projects, including oversight of industrial hygiene contractors the colleges have retained, as requested.
EHS researches regulatory, legal, and best practice requirements for Occupational Health and Safety areas as requested.
Evironmental Health and Safety Alerts
EHS provides the Colleges and CUC with relevant environmental health and safety alert on urgent or important EHS areas for The Claremont Colleges.
Safety & Health Review
EHS provides review and approval of biological, health related, environmental, chemical, and safety related policies and procedures for The Claremont Colleges as requested.
Safety Inspections and Response to Reports of Hazards & Unsafe Conditions
EHS conducts scheduled and non-scheduled inspections and audits of facilities, responds to hazards and unsafe conditions, and recommends corrective action. In the event of life threatening conditions, EHS has the responsibility to "red tag" or shut down operations that are an imminent threat to life, or are could cause serious bodily injury.
EHS provides safety training as requested in the following areas:
- Annual Colleges Safety Training (compressed), (core courses: Illness and Injury Prevention Program, Workplace Violence Prevention, Bloodborne Pathogens, Emergency Action Plan.)
- Back/Lifting Safety
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Construction Safety
- Electrical Safety
- Fall Protection
- Fire Extinguisher
- Golf Cart Safety
- Grounds and Housekeeping
- Hazard Communications
- Heat Stress Prevention
- New Employee Safety Orientation
Last updated: 9/8/2010 5:54:33 PM